- Integrated Urban Development
SmartImpact is a two year project (May 2016 – May 2018) funded by the European Commission (URBACT). Led by Manchester City Council, the focus is cities, people and the promotion of smart, sustainable development.
The network is supported by the Fraunhofer Institute, a leading research group and authority on smart cities. Along with development of a model for smart cities, the 10 partners are working to develop action plans to make their own cities smarter.
The focus is less about technology solutions in themselves and more about governance structures, process and business models. The partners are specifically working together to:
1) Develop models of how organisations can adapt their structures to deliver smart cities.
2) Effectively finance smart solutions and creating new ways of understanding value with co-investment strategies.
3) Develop and support innovation ecosystems within cities.
4) Explore the role of regulations and incentives, e.g. the carrot and stick approach.
5) Better understand how data integration and urban data platforms can support the smart city.
These themes have been developed from our baseline study of each partner city.